Addiction to K

So I’m confused. I’ve seen sources online claim K is addictive. My DOCTOR tells me it’s not and I’ve not seen the online sources claiming it’s addictive ever list any withdrawal symptoms. It’s briefly touched upon even in the Osmind wiki. So what is the actual verdict? Is it addictive and if it is, what are the withdrawal symptoms?

I was on one medication that was addictive and it took lots of effort to get off it, to the point I even had to cut the capsules and microdose in order to taper off. Those withdrawal symptoms were hell, causing lots of tremors and serious anxiety attacks and feeling diabetic or like I had high blood sugar. This was on Geodon, a medication I was not meant to be on and only tried because I had been on risperdal and wanted to try a different med in same class thinking I could avoid the weight gain. However, risperdal is prescribed as antianxiety for ppl with autism, which I have, and that’s not true for Geodon, so it was definitely a mistake. But given i learned what it feels like to be addicted to a psych med, and these withdrawal symptoms were also mentioned in online sources, I’m very confused about the conflicting information on K. Why would my practitioner tell me it’s not addictive while others make this claim? Further, why make this claim and then not really list any real withdrawal symptoms? Just saying a person wants more K is not a sign of addiction by itself. The lozenges for example are so I don’t fall back into a depressed state and I pay attention during my day to see if I think anything is triggering, etc. If I feel my anxiety rise or I feel sad about some trigger, I’ll likely use a lozenge that day to rebalance. That doesn’t seem like addiction, especially considering the triggers existed long before I even heard of K or was put on any meds at all.

2 Likes

For me I have tried the compounded nasal spray and the infusions, and though they help a lot I did sort of crave the nasal spray a bit, though I wouldn’t call it an addiction by any means. It was more like a psychological craving rather than addiction, and even after stopping all ketamine for over a month, I didn’t notice any adverse affects. So I personally don’t believe it to be addictive.

2 Likes

Yea, that’s what I mean, if u r suffering it’s not wierd to want more K. Bizarre that this discrepancy is being propogated.

Hi Hakase…did you feel the nasal spray(assuming Spravato) did the same thing as the infusions or maybe even better than the infusion?

Hey KetKat…is the lozenge that rebalances you similar to have like a glass of wine?

1 Like

Well that depends on the prescribed dosage and if u cut them up. For me, my IV dosed at 55mg cuz I’m pretty small. My lozenges are 50mg. But, the doctor explained the body only absorbs around half that. IV is 100 percent absorption, lozenge is 50 percent. So IV is much more intense. At a full 50mg dose, I experience a mild trip. At half dose, it makes for great meditation. At quarter dose, it feels like I had a glass of wine. If my day is busy and I can’t commit to a long meditation or trip, I use a quarter dose if I need it. But out of all ways to administer K, IV is the strongest.

1 Like

Did they raise your mg at each infusion and did you k hole every time? Has anyone heard the Oregon legalized psilocybin last month?!!!

1 Like

They didn’t for the first 3 infusions because I responded really well and definitely k holed and it was amazing. The falling feeling is interesting because there is peace and doesn’t feel like anything bad will happen if I let myself fall into it. It feels like slow motion falling backwards into a peaceful universe or underwater paradise. That is the best description I can give of my experience. They raised it after I felt the effect was weaker and not as deep of K hole. So my next 2 initials were at 45mg, and the last one they raised to 55, not due to any comments on my part but because they were trying to “cement” the effect to try to last weeks. My case is pretty bad tho. So I was back after a week and a half around 2 or 3 times and then the troches/lozenges were suggested to help me reach the 6 week mark. This was super helpful. I was worried each time they raised and about at home use because I’m sensitive to nausea. My IV is double dosed with antinausea meds! I was apprehensive about the lozenges because I didn’t want to be nauseated or vomit each time and 100mg zoloft made me like that and I had to drop that to 50, and then I was ok. Not ok in terms of zoloft being majorly effective, but at least I wasn’t physically sick for months. I’m also wierd about the experience of nausea and vomiting. For example, I haven’t eaten a hamburger in years since last time I vomited after consuming food, it was a burger I had eaten. However, the burger didn’t cause it. My whole household got sick like that and we each ate different things so it was some contagious stomach bug, but my mind doesn’t care about that. In addition, I only have 1 child because I was nauseated and vomiting all thru my pregnancy and so the pregnancy experience became my own form of birth control :rofl:. I really HATE nausea and vomiting.

The nasal spray I used was just ketamine liquid made at a compounding pharmacy, much cheaper than spravado. It had an almost instant calming effect that definitely helped, but the infusions were much more intense and of course had 100% bioavailability. The nasal spray was much milder, but would get me longer time between booster infusions.

2 Likes

Does your insurance not cover infusions or Spravato?

My insurance doesn’t cover infusions to my knowledge. I have not tried Spravato. My insurance is Medicare, btw. Others on the thread were able to get any coverage, what were your insurances if is ok to ask?

My insurance, united healthcare, doesn’t cover infusions because it is an “off label” use of an FDA approved drug. I have heard they will cover a portion of spravado because of its specific approval for depression, but I hear it’s very expensive, and can only be used at a clinic and not at home like compounded ketamine spray. The compound is also not covered, but is relatively inexpensive. My pharmacy charges $35.00 for a nasal applicator that lasts me about a month if I use 5 sprays twice a week. It’s 100mG per mL strength.

1 Like

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they only cover Spravato because FDA approved as long as you have TRD(and tried multiple anti-depressants.

1 Like

I’ve been on multiple meds but different classes and one was antidepressant, but all the different side effects and craziness just repelled me from trying more meds. K was my last resort and omfg was I fortunate with it.

1 Like

Hi KetKat,
I have been on many different ones too and like you K was my last resort before throwing in the towel(if u know what I mean). Emailed K Clinic 5 hrs ago asked about what my dosage was for the 2nd infusion as I went away feeling defeated and I cant afford $400 for a treatment that isn’t gonna work. each time…the anesthetist was like “well your body builds up a tolerance to it and sluffed it off so it scared me to not get the same relief. Thought I’d try a K nasal spray at home this week to see if I can get a similar relief without spending another $400!!! Also hoping to experience some magic shrooms to see how that works because of the awesome results it is showing. So glad we do have this support out here…thanks!!! :wink:

2 Likes

It can build a tolerance, that’s true. hence upping the dosage some. But with the lozenges I’m learning some days to use them and then maybe a week off them to avoid said tolerance. Did u finish your initials? I wasn’t sure if it would stick either and returning every week or two was financially not good. The lozenges have helped me to not go back. My last infusion was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving so it’s definitely helped.

1 Like

I did microdose shrooms once or twice. It was definitely helpful but I found k more dramatically effective. Maybe cuz I wasn’t afraid to trip under medical supervision :laughing: I wasn’t sure about upping shrooms dose to a trip cuz I’m afraid of doing something wrong even though that fear is probably unwarranted.

1 Like

Hmmm…I did LOVE my 1st K experience!!! Calling my Dr tomorrow to try the nasal spray/lozenges to see if they can do something for me. I DO feel somewhat better after 2 infusions, but I only wanna pay the $400 of I can get the K hole effect again as it was amazing. Wish COVID was out of here, but even thinking of a trip to Oregon to try psilocybin as it’s legal there now and I’m assuming may be easier to obtain even if though illegal channels as it won’t be approved for clinical setting for a couple years!!!

1 Like

How often r your initials? Mine were every other day, the effect started sticking after a couple. What was hard for me was that my environment has ppl who r sometimes toxic and that created setbacks. It’s unlikely u will find the hole on lozenges. They just help maintain the benefits of infusions. I’ve not been in the hole every infusion, but asking for a fast drip may increase the likelihood as that intensifies the experience and brings more dissociation than a slow drip. Try asking for a fast drip at your next infusion, especially if they don’t up your dose. My dose wasn’t upped till my 4th infusion.

2 Likes

I think maybe people might simply be confusing “addiction” with “tolerance”. I’ve been doing ketamine IM injection treatments and Troches for over 18 months now (off and on) and have never experienced any withdrawal or addiction symptoms.

2 Likes