Additional therapy or routines that help you

Hey everyone, I’ve been struggling a little bit the last couple of weeks. I was really in a pretty good place prior to this. I have a psychiatrist, my ketamine doctor, and now a trauma therapist I’ve been going to for about 2-3 months. I know that just doing these things isn’t enough. The recent events in our country along with COVID I know are making it hard on everyone, but especially those of us predisposed to depression and anxiety. I’ve been able to limit my news watching this past year which has helped A LOT. With the most recent event it kind of really shook me. I have a catastrophic point of view, but I had been getting better. I haven’t been the same since and I’m trying to control the things I can. I feel like I’m in a rut. I just had an infusion last week and troches this week. I think I waited too long. Do any of you have additional things you do to help out in these situations? My wife is great and is very understanding. She tries to ask me what I’m grateful for, and what I like about myself everyday. I know being mindful helps, but I’m not feeling too grateful. I know that when I was in outpatient for depression a couple of years ago they had group therapy sessions. This was helpful. Is this a thing outside of a outpatient or inpatient setting? I know it would likely have to be a zoom. Also any other tips or tricks to get out of a rut? I feel like if I could just get going I could get out of it.

2 Likes

Hey fpeot…there is NAMI(National Assoc Mental Illness) that were in person meetings in many states for Depression Support but are now Zoom meetings…maybe u could Google it.

Kind of struggling today myself…I put on my headphones and play the music that takes me back to my Ketamine Experience/Heaven!!!
#2 If REALLY struggling, I take a Klonopin and take a nap to restart.
#3 If feeling anxious, I have just 1 cocktail and it takes the edge off.
And lastly, coming here always make me feel better…talking to my Ketamine friends who have experienced the same escape from the HELL of depression!!!

5 Likes

This coronavirus nightmare on top of our difficulties makes some days very very challenging. It’s OK to have a bad day. Exercise is a really good thing for stress.

3 Likes

Well this may not be a popular opinion but if you live in a state where it is legal, psilocybin can be very helpful. Imo it is helpful in a different way from ketamine, but both experiences are good. It cannot be done that often or you might build a tolerance.

And again, if you have access to medicinal marijuana I have found that really can mellow one out. Unfortunately it also makes me want to eat a lot, but right now I’m on an intermittent fasting diet.

Other than that, you know “self-care” and all that… if I could I’d take a week at a spa! Who knows if any are even open.

Yes, the covid era is not an easy one to live in.

Here’s hoping you (and we all) get the happies soon!

3 Likes

I’ve looked into Psilocybin and MDMA trials as well. Unfortunately neither are in my area or legal. I do have medical marijuana, but in our state only concentrates are legal… why? No idea. It’s super potent. I use that mostly just at night for sleep. I drink Valerian root, camomile, and peppermint tea at night some times as well. It does help sometimes. I’m trying to get into meditation more, but I have ADHD as well and it’s hard to focus. I do try breathing exercises which help a sometimes. I really need to start exercising with my son. It’s just getting over the hump that’s so hard. It’s hard to get out of bed. I’m lucky I have a profession where I don’t punch a clock and I’m my own boss. It’s let me really work on it. If not, I think I would be in a lot of trouble. I like this group and I’ve been using it a little more now that I’m not feeling as well. It’s good to get stuff out even if it’s just to relate to someone else. My therapist is nice, but that’s 1 1/2 hours a week. It’s out of pocket so I might have to slow down my sessions. It seems all the decent ones don’t take insurance.

3 Likes

I use low dose Xanax for anxiety. I have heard it can lessen the effects of ketamine. Has anyone heard the same?

3 Likes

I was told by my clinic that any of the diazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin) would reduce the effects of the ketamine, so they should not be used the day of an infusion “unless that’s what it takes to get you in the door.”

2 Likes

Good information!

1 Like

Hi there - discovering that book b on internal family systems has really helped me. I thought it was about family therapy soo i never looked at it - but it is not. It b is about you and how we are all made up of different parts that have different effects on us. For example, i am not angry, a part of me is angry, depressed, sad, anxious etc and that part, could be a little kid part - needs something. Needs to be heard and that is the first step in working through it. Which can go on for some time, of course. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I used to think the kid thing was stupid. I went to outpatient and they kept on talking about your inner child. I didn’t understand it until I did Ketamine and talked to my therapist. Have you heard of ACE’s test? Adverse Childhood Experiences? It’s very interesting. A study shows that people with a higher score are more susceptible to anxiety, depression, substance abuse, smoking, cancer, heart disease, etc. There’s a Ted talk about it.

3 Likes

This is all true. I was shot in the face at nine years old and it has affected me as an adult a lot! PTSD! Ughh! I am really stable though after my last ketamine infusion! I’m at seven today!

2 Likes

Yes i agree snd would live to try psilocybin / all the studies are good for ptsd and other things BUT you can’t get it / no sense!! Frustrating!!

2 Likes

Omg SaveTheVW that is horrible!! I’m so glad you’re feeling better!

I was sexually abused at 7-9 - not comparing it to your experience, but I’m sure it didn’t help. :confused:

2 Likes

Hugs to you both for your childhood trauma :cry:I think I’ve said it before, that it’s bad enough that we had the trauma, then we have to deal with the ugly aftermath​:rage::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

We are strong people!

1 Like

Thank you Wintej1!

2 Likes

There are some interesting facts coming out about all psychedelics! An old age of medicine returns! With new perspective! I am glad to be part of this! We will be helping many people in the future!

2 Likes

All trauma during childhood can Affect us. Just because what happened to me was bad doesn’t mean that your trauma was not horrific as well! Big big hugs! Thank you for the wonderful kindness!

3 Likes

I am fighting to redesign my reality.

I am learning about psychedelics and the learning curve is steep and curvy. So that is one thing.

For me? As much art and music as is possible.

Unapologetic weeding in the garden of relationships. If it’s even mildly toxic? Yanked out and consigned to the burn pile.

As much outside time as is possible. Moonlight or sunlight is better than indoor light.

Set an intention every day.

Let go of stupid shit. Just. Let. It. Go.

Weed? Yes, please. (Not a preacher for the flower, but it has power for some)

Don’t watch the news.

Politics is polite whoredom. Ignore it.

Hang out with smart people. Listen.

Write.

Dance.

Let go.

Hope you get to better place! Keep us posted.

4 Likes