AMA Thurs 1/14/21: Founders of VETS, a non-profit advocating for psychedelic-assisted therapy for veterans with PTSD, TBI, and addiction

Ask-Me-Anything (AMA) on Thurs Jan 14 from at 7:00pm PT

We are excited to announce that Marcus Capone, a U.S. NAVY Seal Veteran, and his wife, Amber, founders of the non-profit, Veterans Exploring Treatment Solutions, Inc (VETS), will be joining us for an AMA (“Ask-me-anything”) on 2021-01-15T03:00:00Z.

When he retired after 13 years and multiple overseas combat deployments as a U.S. Navy SEAL, Marcus Capone and his wife Amber thought that life would return to normal. Instead, their struggle had just begun. Marcus came home with debilitating depression, headaches, confusion, alcoholism, rage, forgetfulness, and suicidality. Marcus was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in addition to a previously undiagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI).

Seemingly out of options, Marcus underwent a ‘last-ditch-effort’ treatment of ibogaine and 5-MeO-DMT outside the U.S., which he attributes to saving his life, marriage, and family. Less than a month after undergoing this profound healing, Marcus began sharing his life-transforming experience with others.

In 2019, Marcus and Amber formed the non-profit ,VETS, which aims to support Special Operations Soldiers seeking unconventional healing by utilizing the power and promise of entheogenic medicines. VETS intends to shed light on root-cause veteran health issues, many stemming from mild traumatic brain injury, while also advocating for psycho-spiritual healing and finding powerful antidotes to addiction.

Since its inception, VETS has raised and provided funds for 67 Special Operations veterans or their spouses to receive ibogaine- and 5-MeO-DMT-assisted therapy, and to receive preparation and integration coaching, with a current waitlist of over 80.

Topics Marcus and Amber can speak to:

1. Ibogaine and 5-MeO-DMT
  2. Post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury
  3. Substance use disorders
  4. Challenges veterans and their families face

Format: Please post your questions here for Marcus and Amber to answer by 4:00pm PT on Thursday. We will be recording an interview with them and posting the video response in the evening.

Marcus and Amber are looking forward to answering your questions!

Update: Thank you to Marcus and Amber for doing this AMA event with us. Listen to the full interview here.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for speaking with us!

What do you think about the current veterans healthcare system in the U.S. (e.g. the VA)? What is their receptivity to innovative treatments like ketamine?

3 Likes

Is dmt currently under clinical trials in the US? I’m on ketamine treatments which have been amazing for depression and anxiety. But I have pretty persistent complex PTSD and regular ptsd. Ketamine helped suppress the symptoms significantly but they’re still there, some days stronger than others. I’ve got my eye out for stuff that can help ptsd. What was your experience with each of the substances that helped u and your subsequent healing reaction?

1 Like

Could you talk a bit about how the VA is thinking about veteran mental health and what initiatives they have to expand care given the huge need
I’ve heard they are quite interested in esketamine/ketamine so if you could talk about how they think about ketamine and what people can expect that would be great
thank you for all that you do

1 Like

I read a few books talking about the military and DoD’s interest in psychedelics and LSD in the mid and late 20th century. Do you know what their interest is right now?

1 Like

I’m not familiar with ibogaine or DMT could you talk about that please and how that can help people

1 Like

Clinically are there differences in how people with PTSD and depression should be treated if they are veterans vs if they are not? In terms of the treatment protocol itself

Thank you for your amazing work and for sharing your story

2 Likes

Hey everyone, Amber and I appreciate the invitation to speak with you all about alternative treatments.

Here’s the full length interview, where all AMA questions were answered. If you want to know more about the work we’re doing, you can find us at VETS or donate here.

We want to give a huge thanks to the Osmind community for letting us share our story with you all.

2 Likes

Hey @surfsup, great question. I answer this question at 18:45.

Hey @KetKat, thanks for the sharing your point of view. For clinical trials, you can try clinicaltrials.gov. I answer the rest of your question at 26:15.

1 Like

Hey @jwrld, I start talking about this at 18:45 and answer your question at 22:05.

Hey @pesar, I answer this question at 23:20.

Hey @pesar, great question. I start to mention this at 5:42, but answer your question at 10:05.

Hey @gaara, this is an interesting question. I answer this at 33:05.

This is so awesome!!! Many thanks for speaking with us!!!