*crickets*

Well you asked… so New Year’s Eve; technically the early morning of New Year’s Day, my son (22, long history of depression) made a suicide attempt by a large bridge we live near. A rope and a bottle of vodka. He didn’t get drunk enough to pass out and thus fall… he’s been in crisis care and is home again. Yes, he has bad trd. And a long history of suicide attempts. I’m hoping to get him a ketamine infusion (ideally infusions) but idk.

2 Likes

Juliawww, my heart goes out to you. I lost my daughter to an overdose born of drug addiction last September, so I can relate. We will do the best we can to be here for you.

4 Likes

Hi Sojourner, omg I am so sorry! I guess there’s a lot of pain out there. So hard when it’s a loved one… or ourself who is struggling. :frowning:

Hugs to you!!

3 Likes

I hope your son finds healthy peace and both of your sufferings end.
Love and light to you and yours.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Julia…you & he are in my thoughts and prayers…BIG HUGS to you both!!!:pray::pray:

2 Likes

Thanks, you guys! I really wanted him to get an infusion but his case manager wants to see how his newest meds do first (lithium and gaba). Ugh. I don’t have very high hopes for them. But, in general I’ve found it best not to expect too much and try to accept the situation… “it is what it is” kind of thing.

2 Likes

You are a strong person! Big hugs!

1 Like

Case manager??? This young man is in danger, and the case manager takes precedence over his mom? Is this just a matter of money and referrals? I’m feeling somewhat outraged here…

2 Likes

Thanks, Save and Sojourner. Sigh, Sojourner; thanks… it’s been such a difficult situation. I have spent a lot on the infusions and it’s not like we have tons of money but I have money to get him at least some infusions. I was all set to do it until she said that.

Of course, I don’t know if they will work for him. The meds clearly don’t seem to be working, so… yes I feel something that takes a very different approach is our best bet.

Anyhoo, sorry, folks; I didn’t mean to hijack this thread with my family drama!

2 Likes

Don’t worry about that, Juliawww. Ketamine is generally accepted as a crisis intervention. Get him the phuquing infusion!!! I am outraged by this, because I have stood in that young man’s shoes, in that exact space and in those conditions! Let the bureaucracy be damned! He needs this!

3 Likes

It’s hard for our caregivers and families sometimes too. Big hugs! Big, big hugs! It’s ok to talk about it here!

2 Likes

Hi Sojourner and everyone! Sojourner, I am so so sorry you were in that situation. It truly sounds horrific. :(. And I have had those thoughts but not acted on them… which was horrible enough for me! :(. With ketamine and other therapies I am feeling better, but I know so many people don’t have access to this.

So, Hopefully some good news! I talked to both Kyle (my son) and my doc, and we have an appt set up for tomorrow. Praying nothing happens to mess it up!

Thank u all for your kind concern! I truly feel “we’re all in this together”! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t worry about me, Juliawww. That was a long time ago, and hopefully I’ve learned a few things since then. Ketamine infusions didn’t exist way back when, but in any case today’s concern is your very fragile and vulnerable son. My thoughts are with him.

3 Likes

Good luck today Julia​:pray::pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

Well I’m new. So hey!

3 Likes

Hi, JBB. It’s kind of an intense world around here, but I guess it’s that way for all of us, so welcome.

4 Likes

Hey all! And welcome new people!

Ok so for those who have been following (or even those who haven’t, lol)… an update… my suicidal / depressed son (kyle) just got his first infusion Friday!!

I must say I was in a worried / stressed mood all day… worried he’d back out, it wouldn’t work, etc.

So, we went, he had the infusion… and I didn’t say anything bec he hates when I talk usually and doesn’t like being asked questions.

But I had promised him dinner, and when I brought it up he seemed much more light-hearted and jokey about it - how since I brought it up, now I’d have to take him to McDonald’s haha etc etc.

The next day he volunteered that he thought the ket helped bec he felt more motivated.

I didn’t even prod him. So… we are getting him the rest of the infusions!! But, I don’t want to let myself think this is a panacea… hopefully if it works, it will be a tool that will help him get to where he wants to be eventually. Yes he will have to put some effort in, but I believe if his brain’s problems are “fixed”’or at least ameliorated, he can then do that himself.

Thanks to all for the moral support, and prayers for all of us!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here we go again… :roll_eyes:

Yoo hoooo! Lucia…

1 Like

Excellent! Give that young warrior my regards, and tell him that there’s someone else who has run that gauntlet that is rooting for him.

4 Likes