Difficult day

Has been a horribly difficult day. I am finally able to lay down and I fall asleep and start in immediately with the night mares and night terrors. I am just exhausted, have to leave for work by 6:15 am. Thinking about using a lozenge but worried it may make matters worst. Has anyone ever use the lozenge to provide more of an immediate release of calm to a flare of symptoms? Really struggling…

1 Like

So how did you finally make out, Deb? Using the lozenges only a few hours before going to work seems ill-advised to me, especially if you’re driving yourself to work. Hopefully, you’re okay now.

4 Likes

Yes you are correct, I came to that very conclusion ill-advised. I have been so exhausted and was so frustrated with the nightmares I was grabbing for any relief. But using the lozenges at that point would have been irresponsible. Hoping to have some time to relax with a 3 day weekend ahead. Thanks for caring Sojourner.

4 Likes

There’s a supplement that may help you called wild jujube extract. It has been used in herbal medicine for thousands of years to promote sleep and reduce anxiety. Do a little research on it - you might find it helpful.

3 Likes

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I have very vivid dreams and twice have had awful nightmares. I was never able to sleep before ketamine. Melatonin has helped me. Can totally understand why your at your wits end and hoping everything improves for you

3 Likes

I will do some research, thank you for the suggestion.

Hi Kristen,
I am really hoping the Ketamine will bring some sleep eventually. The night terrors and nightmares are horrid. I woke up in the backyard the other night, still trying to get away from the situation in the nightmare. I block the doors now before I try to go to sleep. At the very least just hoping to get a break tonight! Thank you for your encouragement, Kristen.

1 Like

I take prozosin 1 mg at bedtime for my nightmares. I have had very vivid dreams and nightmares for my entire life. This is the first time I can go to sleep peacefully. The medication is actually a blood pressure medication, but has an off label use for ptsd. I think it works great!

3 Likes

I am happy prozosin works for you! I tried prozosin and in fact worked up to what is considered a high dose. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Interesting. I did a little research on prazosin, and while it does seem to help with nightmares associated with PTSD, it doesn’t seem to work if the PTSD factor is absent.

1 Like

What do you mean by PTSD factor?

1 Like

Prazosin apparently only addresses nightmares caused by post traumatic stress disorder. Sufferers of nightmares with other root causes get no relief from it. They don’t know why.

1 Like

I read that study. The studies around prazosin for PTSD are inconclusive. There are studies that show effectiveness only at a higher dose. There are studies that show Prazosin is not effective at all (completed by veteran’s affairs researchers). There are studies that actually show Prazosin makes nightmares and night terrors from PTSD more intense.

2 Likes

Great. One more instance of the FDA approving a drug that doesn’t work because big pharma want to extract more money from people that can rarely afford it. Just great. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Have you tried Valerian root? You can buy it in a pill or you can buy the root online or at a nature food store that sells bulk herbs and spices. I make tea and I mix it with camomile, peppermint, and honey. It smells like sweaty gym socks, so you need to calm it down with the peppermint. It can really help with sleep. If I’m having trouble I make a huge cup of it and drink it 30 minutes before bed.

4 Likes

Thank you, fpeot. I will check out the valerian root. I have had so little sleep I am willing to try. Will research to make sure it works well with other meds I take. Thank you again.

1 Like

If it is really bad I definitely will use the Troche. It can help keep you from getting on that circular train track of despair! Big hugs I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Yes never use unless you were going to stay home. I’m sorry if my advice didn’t state that. Don’t ever do lozenges and get in the car.

2 Likes