Does ketamine reduce effects of Xanax?

I am dependent on Xanax for treatment of anxiety. After taking ketamine, it seems I have needed higher and more frequent doses of Xanax. Have others noticed a similar problem with Xanax or other benzodiazepines like Klonopin, Valium or Ativan?

2 Likes

If you aren’t aware just an FYI…. Benzodiazepines are known Ket blockers. Meaning the ketamine may not work as well for people who take benzodiazepines on a regular basis. Benzos work on some of the same receptors in the brain. That being said if benzodiazepines reduce the effectiveness of Ket then I think Ket may also reduce the effectiveness of benzodiazepines. Basically the 2 different meds are competing for access to the same receptors in the brain. But that’s just my theory. I’ve done a lot of research on Ket and how to get the most from it, especially since I get the IV infusions and they r not cheap.

4 Likes

Here’s two great links for the latest research on this. Alcohol is in the same class.

New Research: Ketamine + Benzodiazepine=Treatment Failure for Anhedonia

Benzodiazepines and Alcohol and their effect on ketamine treatments

2 Likes

I am more interested to know if ketamine is a benzodiazepine blocker and if ketamine is potentially harmful to people dependent on benzodiazepines.

@Elmer I believe that is a question for your medical in provider.

I’m on a FB group where many people are on benzos and get Ket. You might want to join that group. Also many Ket providers give versed (a benzo) with the Ketamine during the infusion and I’ve never heard of any potentially harmful interactions with the 2 drugs.

1 Like

I am not taking more Xanax. Since I don’t use more Xanax, I have added more CBD to the equation. Right now I need something for the anxiety. Troches are helpful in making sure I don’t get severe depression again. My mom had a stroke and I have a lot of anxiety right now. Because of Covid there can only be one visitor per day and that is my father. STRESS! I do know that Xanax will make the ketamine less effective. I use the Xanax as needed. I try not to use it when I am going to do ketamine. Sometimes you just need Xanax. It is one of the most effective medicines in the medicine cabinet. It’s still is the most effective thing I know for anxiety disorder. It takes away that horrible jumping out of your skin feeling. It’s physical and mental.:disappointed: It’s OK because Xanax actually helps us. Like ketamine it is a tool in the toolbox. Definitely get some advice from your ketamine doctor. We are all a little different. If your Xanax is affecting your ketamine, I’m sure the ketamine could be adjusted slightly as well!

3 Likes

Lamatrogine blocks it even worse than benzos! I was on that when I didn’t need to be, the first year and a half of my treatments, and the clinic never made it seem like it was a problem. This is a clinic that’s been in practice for years and otherwise extremely competent.

Now that I go to a clinic owned and operated by anesthesiologists, I learned how badly it blocks ketamine, and I tapered off of it.

Unfortunately, I’ve been on benzos for years, and because my anxiety is so bad, completely eliminating them isn’t something I can do. So, I don’t take any the day before or the day of infusions.

That caused a whole other problem with the high dose of ketamine I was receiving, but that’s for a post of its own.

There are a lot of people getting into the ketamine business for the money and don’t know what they’re doing. Please vet practitioners before using them!

3 Likes