Drunken experience

Have anyone experienced just being really really drunk during the ketamine infusion?

1 Like

I’ve only had that effect from home use ketamine. Infusions are far more intense for me - I usually reach a state where I’ve lost all awareness of even having a body…just a point of awareness watching what’s unfolding on the inner screen.

3 Likes

Did you close your eyes because that’s really helpful with your imagination? If you were looking around the room you feel kind of intoxicated! It’s beyond feeling drunk because you’re anesthetized!

2 Likes

@SavetheVWBeetle and @Sojourner, my infusion session was done with the attendance of a psychotherapist (and her student). Both were asking me questions so I was present with wide eyes open, the light was dimmed and they have that astral music that makes me nervous instead of relaxing me. Anyway, I did not close my eyes at any time, I found myself looking for an object in the room to focus and get some form of spatial perspective and they have a leave on lights on the wall that went from just a decoration to a scene from avatar.
I will ask to close my eyes and maybe get rid of the music, that way I can get the full experience and the benefits.

1 Like

Rafael, you make me realize just how different our individual experiences have been in beginning infusion therapy. At the place I’ve been getting my infusions up until now, they start the infusion, turn the lights dim, and walk out closing the door behind them. I’m alone with my experience. If there’s music, it’s music I brought with me so I can listen with an iPad and a pair of PSB sealed headphones. They really do make activation of the blood pressure monitor less intrusive.

3 Likes

I would say it was like a cross between laughing gas and alcohol. I can’t describe accurately

1 Like

I would just echo what Sojourner said: where I go they hook you up, you are on a recliner wearing headphones with whatever playlist works for you, with a blanket, and a nurse may come in very briefly to check your pulse, but otherwise you are alone almost the entire time. I can’t imagine having a therapist and a student in the room the whole time - and I am a therapist with a personal and professional interest in these treatments. The infusions must be much stronger? Not sure I could converse!

4 Likes

@Connelly, I know for a fact that I could not. Reaching back to make connection with that body back there?

“Are you out of your phuquing mind?!??” :rofl:

4 Likes

@Sojourner I think I rather have your settings than mine, I feel like I need to pay attention to the psychotherapist and I rather explore my brain on my own, with my own music and all. Maybe I can ask her nicely to step out for part of the session.

2 Likes

@Kevin I got so physically numb at one point that I was biting my lips, twisting my toes and digging my fingers on the recliner like a cat, the worse part was when I started giggling like a little girl when listening to myself, I know it was bad because the psychotherapist said “don’t worry this session is confidential “. :flushed:

3 Likes

That’s funny

Same we’re I’m at

@Sojourner @Kevin @Connelly @SavetheVWBeetle, you all made me realized that I was probably scare shitless of losing control and have an out of body experience, I swear I might have wasted my first session trying to stay connected to my body. I scheduled for my second infusion tomorrow, I’ll try my very best to let go, I might come back with a different tale to tell.

2 Likes

I might be getting a more holistic approach or paying more to get the VIP treatment without even knowing.

1 Like

@Rafael, they generally increase the dosage as treatment progresses. If they don’t increase it enough, then ask them to do so. I think I started out at .6 mg/kg of body weight. When I told them they should increase it, they did - up to .9 mg/kg. It made a big difference.

2 Likes

I was told every infusion is different. I’m hoping now that I have an idea of this animal I’ll be better prepared.

2 Likes

For sure. Every infusion when I’m going under and coming out feels exactly like being drunk to me. Only somehow better and I sober up faster afterward with a really lovely mellow feeling for the rest of the evening. They put toradol in my drip so I don’t experience the headache some do. And it means my legs don’t ache like usual so that’s pretty blissful too!

3 Likes

Re: lights etc. My first infusion I found that having my husband in the room made it hard to disassociate. And even with dim lights the Doterra infuser glowed and there was a painting on the wall that if I looked at it my eyes wanted to focus on it… which also brought me out. Definitely recommend eyeshades if you can tolerate and noise canceling headphones or earbuds.

But if your practitioner wants to talk you through it maybe it’s not possible. I just know I find any distraction to be highly frustrating and irritating during infusion.

3 Likes

Rafael, My therapist stays with me as well however, there is no conversation until I am coming back from the trip (she may reinforce things like, you’re safe if she sees I have disturbed expressions). Then the conversation is purely integrating the trip. I have found this type of conversation very powerful. In fact, my therapist writes down our discussion for me as often I don’t remember much of the dialogue.
I really pushed to not wear the black out mask and my therapist explained exactly what you describe trying to find a focal point often interferes with the whole experience. For me the music is critical. They allowed me to listen to playlist before choosing one. I agree with you, there is music that is anything but relaxing to me as it can be a trigger.

3 Likes

@Sojourner I’ll definitely ask them. Thank you.