Extreme Insomnia after 3 infusions

I had my 3rd infusion yesterday. The first infusion went ok, I had extreme nausea and migraines after and on the days in between. The 2nd treatment, exasperated my anxiety and depression to the point I can no longer sleep…ever. I had my 3rd infusion yesterday, and the overall experience was better. My nausea went away after, my headache returned later in the day and by bedtime I was wired with anxiety and it lasts ALL night long. I have tried literally everything the doctors have told me to, to help me sleep. Nothing works. I am exhausted and I feel this is hindering the entire experience. Is anyone else having trouble sleeping?

1 Like

Brooke1827,
Once the Ketamine wears off I feel like I am wired! Typically do not sleep at all the night of the treatment. With that said, I just had my 4th IM session last Thursday coming home to feel wound up, however, this time, I was able to fall asleep about 3am. I have since had some calm periods where I truly felt my body relax (a feeling I can’t even remember the last time I felt).
I too experience intense headaches with the Ketamine. My doc has me take Tylenol before the Ketamine is administered. We have been preventative with Tylenol before 2 sessions now and it has drastically helped the intensity of the headache afterward.
I also experienced the nausea. I was asked if I wanted to try a candied ginger for the nausea. I was told if the ginger didn’t work he would give me a prescription Zofran. I was sceptical about the ginger but it works perfectly. No nausea when I take the ginger.
I hope it gets better for you, Brooke. I wish you the best!!

1 Like

Hi also I’m having trouble sleeping after the infusion and I am curious what has been recommended to you to help facilitate sleep? Hope you find an ounce so that works for you. Thanks for sharing.

I have had all those things as well. All seemed have lessened the more infusions I had. Except I struggle with nausea but I have almost constant vertigo and nausea seems to be frequent but is exacerbated by infusions. Recently started zofran with infusion and it has been huge help. I have internal agitation one to three days after infusions and this is new. I usually do not sleep at all. Feel exhausted but energized. I do not feel depressed like you described. I had major depressive set back with SI after infusion 4 or 5 and again after infusion 9 or 10. I just went right back and did well. I have been good since my last 3 infusion (10-14). I think some of us are slower to respond than others but just my opinion. I hope you feel better :clap:t4:

1 Like

I am having insomnia and none of the normal meds to sleep are working How can I have another infusion tomorrow if I can’t sleep?! Anyone else out there awake who can tell me what helps sleep?

Before Infusions, during infusions and after infusions. It is the only symptom that did not change… I am going back for my first booster after I finish at the sleep institute. I think the insomnia is the only thing at this point that holds me back and brings me down. Just feel fried and exhausted. But as I said this was a problem before as well. I have tried everything for it. After a time any of the meds stop working or I am allergic to it to begin with. Now they are handing me prescriptions that the pharmacist says they only dispense in other countries. One is 800 dollars the other 400. I have more testing coming next week. That should make things clearer to me and my physician. Hang in there. Sometimes I have to take time to sleep when it comes no matter the time of day—even though that is not good sleep hygiene. Like 2 times per week. Otherwise I try not to. And to do everything else she tells me.Good luck to you. I will be thinking of you. Booker

1 Like

Does anyone know or have opinions on whether to cancel infusion due to exhaustion? I had 3 hours of sleep after yesterday’s infusion (after taking multiple meds to sleep) and am so tired I can’t do anything. Is it a good idea to get infusions when exhausted?

1 Like

@Lovebeach Honestly, I think you should consult your provider on this issue. The meds may be interacting with the Ketamine.

2 Likes

My sessions consist of 3 IM injections, about 30 minutes apart. My last time, they included phenergan in the last one. Wow, what a difference. The experience itself was no different, but the after effects were so different. Typically I will puke when I have to move. I am able to sleep. There have been a few times that I get home and go to bed.

This last time, with the phenergan, it was so different. I talked with my wife all the way home (OK, attempted to. Sort of like dental numbing…“Phlubbning whuff blub blub”). After I got home I ate everything in the refrigerator.

1 Like

@deb I ask provider questions but they have not been doing this very long and I find more help honestly in reading much on this board. This goes to earlier posts (I wrote about this recently somewhere else here) from the other day about feeling like a guisnea pig experiment - and us lab rats have to figure out what they are doing to us.

3 Likes

The biggest thing I’ve learned is benzos impact efficacy so I’m working on cutting off the clonopin before next infusion in about 10 days. Luckily I have learned over the years how to easily wean off the clonopin if needed and I never had difficulty getting off it so maybe if I get off the clonopin for a while the k will work this time. I feel like my own dr but this is where I’m left after years of dealing with this…I know I’m not alone in this and this message board is so valuable to me in dealing with k- I appreciate you all

2 Likes

Lovebeach, I agree with feeling like my own doc. I just know that I have to take things day by day. And read and read again interactions, etc every time they change a med. I hope someone somewhere is analyzing this data. But I worry that they are making money so fast and easy that may not be happening. I remain so much better but I am not as good as I was after the first 6. Insomnia is torture. The last meds the Sleep doc prescribed you can’t get in this country. It worries me that she didn’t know that. Sleep study beginning Sunday. Hopefully the last one. Because I need help and Ketamine did so much for me but sleep and helping with insomnia was not part of it. If they know it doesn’t help with sleep seems they might want to say. Hang in there. I know I am.

@Booker I suspect the money is coming fast and easy and someone has this board set up as their own experiment. My last k doc never even told me about this board or any others (I am not on FB). He charged me 150$ hour for therapy on top of infusions. Then discharged me after I wasn’t getting better after 2 months. This was highly traumatic; I poured out my life to this dr. He didn’t care about me. He cared about the money and when I got too annoying or whatever, and didn’t get better fast he dropped me. I am almost angry at myself for even trying this k routine again as last time was a total failure. (Honestly I want to sue that dr for the trauma he caused me but have zero energy and I actually have blocked out his name and cannot remember it!) That’s how much k dr #1 helped - nightmare journey…

2 Likes

I feel he need to point out that we are willing, voluntary lab rats here.

I am doing the ketamine treatments because nothing else has ever worked as good (except maybe slamdancing in the pit when I was much younger…great catharthis), not because I was told to. On top of that, other than finding out that it exists, and that I had to have the invite from my provider, I have had no pressure or information about Osmind other than what I have found out after I joined.

I have no need to find out what They are doing to us. I am doing it to myself and sharing the experience in the hope that it may help someone, maybe even me if it leads to new discoveries.

1 Like

Oh Wow. You have really been through it Lovebeach. K was my last option. My provider of over 30 years referred me and had seen good results through the last three years with his other clients where nothing was helping. I don’t think these clinics are regulated or it would not be such a difference in approach that I read about here. They asked me for 500 per infusion for 2 hours each. No way I could do that times 6 for consecutive days. Then they came back with 375.00 they got paid for everything but the actual K. But they were concerned. Made some promises they didn’t keep but they were small in comparison to what I received. This was for pain, PTSD, Treatment Resistant Depression, TBI cognitive probs. I think if I could sleep consistently things would be holding at a very good place. Having to depend on sleep clinic for that. It takes forever. I need a booster at least but I don’t see the point until I get the sleep issue dealt with. It seems there are so few choices for health care since Covid and my 2 insurances cover very little of my meds. I feel uneasy as it is on me to try to think of things that might go wrong given other health problems.

1 Like