Fears of Failed Psychadelics

On Saturday I broke down and got ahold of psychedelics after reading for years that they are showing to be incredibly helpful with treatment resistant depression. I wasn’t doing it for the trip, I was doing it for the relief. The trip was cool, but the following day I woke up feeling like an entirely different person. Like the depression was completely gone. No anti-depressant had ever worked so intensly. The studies generally showed people feeling pretty damn good up through at least three weeks before needing another dose to mitigate the returning depression. Imagine my shock when not three days after, I was right back to where I was before, if not worsr because the relief made me forget how much it actually hurt.

Now I’m really scared. It makes me feel like there is something really, seriously wrong with my brain if I barely got three days of relief before falling back into the pit. My question is who has worked with these before, and what do you recommend? I have tried so many different medications and can’t afford anymore psychiatrist visits to talk to my Dr about this and get her thoughts.

1 Like

With ketamine, in particular, I’ve known people who don’t get results or notice a lift until after their third or fifth infusion. I’d say give psychedelics another chance before giving up on it!

1 Like

I’m certainly planning on it. The .ostrecent stuff I pulled up showed that the study participants were given two doses of psilocybin a week apart with the second dose being higher. I am stopping my SSRI (escitalopram, 20mg) the day before the next dose this week as well as cannabis use to really see how the affects take and how one they last without other influences.

1 Like

Hi @Gan596, I want to start out by giving you my best wishes and full support - hoping this week goes well for you and please keep us updated. We’re rooting for you! I saw on the other thread that Dr. McInnes the psychiatrist said there are always more options out there. So let’s be optimistic this will work!! But even in the worst case it doesn’t I trust you will find something that will. :slight_smile:

I found this from the Usona Institute website about their phase 2 clinical trials for psilocybin: https://www.usonainstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/06-IND-129532-1.14.4.1_Usona_psilocybin_ib_v2.0-2.pdf

The concurrent use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor/serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSRI/SNRI) medications is assumed to be contraindicated due to the potential to increase the risk of serotonin syndrome and/or to attenuate the binding of psilocin to the HT2A receptor.

It does seem like stopping escitalopram would be a good idea. I didn’t find much in it about cannabis, but I’d assume it could be helpful to stop for a bit

Are you able to figure out your dose? you may want to get close to the trial dose if you can: 25 mg oral dose of psilocybin – https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03866174

the trial also does therapy so if you have a therapist you see, not sure if that could be helpful to continue.
best of luck @Gan596

Hang in there, Gan596! From everything I have read and from my experience with Ketamine over the past 4 months, the integration work done between sessions is very important to achieve long term relief with psychedelics. A skilled therapist, with experience doing psychedelic integration work, will be invaluable in helping you bring some of the psychedelic experience into your everyday life. I too am tempted to try the traditional psychedelics (psilocybin and LSD) on my own, but there is a concern about doing it alone without even a trip sitter. The concern is that a “bad trip” is more likely without someone to guide me out of difficult places and would set me back and I would lose some of the ground I have recently gained with Ketamine. I’m still torn about it.

Don’t lose hope. You are not alone. I’m very happy to have found this community.

2 Likes

ditto @soma-- psychedelics can be an opportunity to get off to a really good start, but you still have to continue from there! it’s almost like a new year’s resolution lol, but often with more optimistic outcomes. the old habits/thoughts/distortions usually creep back in eventually, but you got a good peak at what it might feel like to feel good, and that can definitely give one much needed hope.

maps also has a list of therapists that can definitely be helpful with these kinds of experiences, especially if they turn out to be challenging (which is normal and can be a good plot development): https://integration.maps.org/

anyway nothing beats a skilled therapist, and I can’t condone using something without proper clinical supervision, but if for some reason that’s also out of the question, even having a trusted person to talk to about these experiences honestly can still do wonders. (especially if they can keep you accountable to the lessons you’ve learned!) :wink:

also three days of feeling not depressed is still definitely nothing to scoff at! the fact that you were able to feel fine for a few days means that you are definitely capable of feeling like that in the future!! the fact that you’ve gotten there is definitely proof enough that it is possible to feel fine!!! (sorry i’m excited for you)

anyway how to reach that more easily and consistently is the next adventure on your journey. :slight_smile: good luck!

1 Like