First appointment

I have my first appointment coming up in 3 weeks and I’m nervous that it won’t help. I’ve been struggling to maintain and it seems like it’s too far away and what if I don’t like myself and that’s been my problem my entire life?

3 Likes

Kevin three weeks is a short time to wait for what could be help for the rest of your life. I don’t know how old you are, but you’ve managed to make it this far. It won’t be instant success so don’t get frustrated after the first infusion. It took me 4 before a real change showed in my personality. There was more happiness at that point. Each person is definitely different as to how they respond. For me it hasn’t been a cure all but has changed my life for the better. It is a process and it takes time. Just believe in yourself that you can do it and make the effort to find the good in yourself. We’re all flawed a little, but perfect in so many other ways.

6 Likes

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am going into this with an open mind and hoping for the best

4 Likes

Hang in there Kevin! Completely understand your apprehension. I certainly felt so conflicted - on one hand so desperate for a treatment that actually works and so afraid to even hope that it would work. And worried it wouldn’t. But the odds are definitely in your favor that it will open a door for recovery.

Keep reading - so much support for you here and helpful to have an idea what to expect from others’ experiences.

6 Likes

I felt the same way, Kevin, leading up the first appointment. I think we all dislike the voice in our head that fuels our depression, but fortunately that’s not the REAL you. I quelled some of my anxiety by reading about ketamine and learning as much as I could. The integration practices are important to learn about and you can start journaling now to start your healing practice even before you begin. This community is also great, read posts and connect to others on the journey of healing :heart:‍:adhesive_bandage:

7 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi Kevin. 3 weeks does seem like a long time when you are Wanting to feel better NOW. You have a good opportunity to prepare. I had similar fears of “what if it doesn’t work”. I did six sessions and it does work, and mentally, it felt like work. I will tell you two things that helped me. 1) Trust the process. 2)Ketamine works "behind the scenes of treatment. For example: you may feel like a treatment didn’t go as well at first for you. But behind the scenes, the Ketamine is doing its job. See point #1.
Take this time to start to journal, study ways to meditate, prepare yourself to learn how to karate chop negative thought loops, find some good guided meditation on Spotify.
You got this!

5 Likes

Thank you Mbuck30. Your message was comforting.

2 Likes

How long did it take you to start feeling better where you could say “I know for sure I have made significant progress”. After how many treatments? Thanks for any share

3 Likes

For me, it was around the 4th one. The 1st one flew by, the 2nd was interesting, my 3rd was 2hrs long and I was mentally exhausted and felt sluggish the next day. Each one was a learning experience, but by 4 I was feeling optimistic. 5 &6 were awesome learning experiences where stuff just clicked.

4 Likes

Such wise words. Thank you for that! I really like how everyone is so encouraging here. Good luck with you treatment and I will follow up as I get into mine.

1 Like

Hey Kevin, just remember life is good. It’s like that really ripe peach that has a bad spot on it and you get rid of the bad spot and the rest is so sweet to enjoy. :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you Ant. I like that a lot. You’re very kind

2 Likes

Kevin this treatment is going to make you feel better. Shift the focus in your mind to good results instead of bad results and you will make more progress in your first infusion. I’m very excited for you as ketamine therapy is life-changing for most people! Best of luck on your new path!

4 Likes

I am working on that. I’m 1 week ou now and I have to put positive thoughts out there. I am really trying. I appreciate all the encouraging words I have been receiving. Thanks to you and the others in the group!

4 Likes

No problem Kevin; we are all working through stuff! And I’m happy for you. Please let us know about your first experience!

4 Likes

What do mean by “stuff just clicked”? Are you talking about things you experienced during the infusions clicked in the real world? Or do you mean something else by the word “stuff”? Just curious :smiley:

2 Likes

I think they meant that sometime around the third infusion you just start to feel different. Better and more happy. I think I remember describing it as a veil of darkness (depression) was lifted.

3 Likes

I will keep the group updated! 5 days and counting.

3 Likes

Hi! I am new here! I am three days away from my first ever Ketamine infusion, and I have a lot of concerns. I am scheduled already for three times a week for two weeks. The anesthesiologist that consult with me described the experience as taking LSD (I haven’t even tried por in my life), and I am worried about getting “hook up” to that kind of mental trip ( that’s number one). Number two, my depression makes me very irritable and I pray constantly to keep myself calm when an idiot -normally a coworker- is getting in my nerves. Meaning, they deserve to be scalded and remind it to do the f jobs instead of messing with other people while getting paid, I keep my mouth shut but I know all that stuff is accumulating and it will come out one day like an explosion, what if it does when I am under the infusion and turned into “Hulk”. Third, I will be working all those day during morning time and I am worried I will show up to work like a “stoner”, I’ll get fired on the spot.
I am not necessarily worried if it works or not because I don’t want to get my hopes up.
I am worried about the money because I have no idea how much the insurance will cover because I haven’t met my deductible yet.
If this works for me it will be priceless and wonderful, I still dream of the days of waking up feeling like “living” wasn’t a chore and I have to push through because I have a family and obligations to attend, only if I can enjoy doing them though. Anyway. Thank you for listening (reading).

3 Likes