First troche experience

I picked up my troche prescription over the weekend and also had my first ketamine session with troches. I had previously done 3x IM injections 2 weeks apart, and there was a 6-week break between the final injection and when I got the troche prescription. I found that my mood was excellent from the first injection until about the 5-6 week mark, where it took a steep dive. This may have coincided with being back with family / at my childhood home during the holidays - that usually has a negative impact on me.

Anyways, the troche experience was great. The best part was the price tag - under $60 for 21x 100mg troches, with those equating to 4-5 doses for me. By comparison I was spending $650 for a single injection. I much prefer the injection experience (faster, more intense, less time to think “is it working?” while coming up. But 98% off per dose is a pretty great deal, and makes ketamine treatment a much more sustainable option for me financially.

Worst part of the troches were letting them dissolve for 15 min (lots of saliva, kinda gross). And then waiting what felt like forever for the effects to begin. However I found myself in roughly the same “place” as on my injection journeys, and my mood has definitely improved since the troche experience. I am feeling much better today than I was before taking them. While I may go back to injections at some point in the future (ideally when they’re much cheaper), I hope troches are going to be viable for me between now and then.

For those of you who have tried both troches and another delivery method - how do troches work for you? I hope you’re having similarly positive experiences.

1 Like

I think they are a wonderful addition to the infusion. I get to do extra work on my crap, and feel
better. I consider the Troche to actually be a booster to the infusion. I am able to go five weeks now and not get depressed. Moderate depression for me is like feeling normal. I used to live in a severe category. I am so grateful for this medication.

2 Likes

I am glad they are helping you! And yes they taste awful! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

@JVT I find the trouches/lozenges very helpful. In fact, I just experienced how helpful they are when I wasn’t able to use the lozenges for several weeks in a row (life schedule simply didn’t allow the time to engage in the lozenges). I hit a serious low. My integration therapist suggested I have lozenges session as soon as I could. It made a distinct difference in my ability to cope. The taste actually gags me. My therapist recommended a few drops of honey with the lozenges. That definitely helped but now everytime I smell honey I want to gag! Best of Luck!

2 Likes

I do both. What I am told is that the troches help smooth the ride and extend the period between boosters.

My pharmacy adds flavor, but I have them do 1/2 the amount. I went with mint. I can still taste the ketamine, but I find that preferable to something that isn’t candy, especially while tripping.

I am still working out what works best for me. I have 200mg. The clinic suggested doing 1/4 or 1/2 on my days off, to accommodate schedules. Since my last IM booster (mid Dec.) I have been doing 1/2 on alternating days off, and then once or twice during the week I do a full one when I go to bed. I’ve been told the medicine works whether I am conscious or not. Ironic, though, if I take it before I go to bed it keeps me awake. If I take it when I go to bed, no problem. It does get a little tricky to not drool it all onto the pillow, though.

1 Like