Hang in there, folks…

As @salty and @JVT have noted, the holidays tend to put us into situations where we have to deal with a lot of old triggers and the people who created many of the issues we face today. I suppose that I’m lucky in that regard, since it will just be my wife and I, although congregating during a pandemic seems a bad idea anyway. Regardless of your circumstances, I wish you all a Merry Christmas or Kwanza or whatever holidays you happen to celebrate. It’s difficult, but be as well as you can for those you love, and mostly for yourself. :christmas_tree:

Namaste.

9 Likes

Thank you so much @Sojourner! I really needed to hear your words. I appreciate you and all of the generous support and kindness you’ve extended to me and everyone here. Merry Christmas and every blessing to you and your family. Here’s to a beautiful, hopeful, peaceful 2022! Love to all! :heart:

4 Likes

@Sojourner thank you as usual for your timely and sensitive remarks. Here’s hoping our community is weathering the season with grace.

Likely facing a very difficult week ahead as we (hopefully) navigate my father into a (extremely nice, brand-new) private home care facility. He is likely dying but is already determined to literally be kicking and screaming if he goes anywhere but home (where he is being neglected). Mother will likely simultaneously aggravate things and make it all about her.

Sorry to mention it but if you have any extra warm fuzzies to send our way please do!

Love to you all for strength and healing. :heart:

6 Likes

@Shepherdess My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Shepherdess. :heart:

4 Likes

Keeping you and your family in my prayers @Shepherdess. :heart::pray:t2:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that, @Shepherdess. Those end-of-life issues are always tough to deal with anyway, and care home charges are brutal. Hugs and warm fuzzies your way…

3 Likes

Yeah…and here I am crashing in a tailspin. Does that make me a hypocrite or just hopelessly naive? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I usually feel like a naive hypocrite. I was ready to give up yesterday and today I’m telling you to hang in there… but I do mean it, with all of my heart. So hang in there🫀⚡️

5 Likes

@Sojourner @Janderson79 I just had a similar discussion with my integration therapist. She reminded me, nothing about healing from a mental health disorder is linear. Be kind to yourself! :heart:

3 Likes

It’s been a rough couple of weeks - so I reiterate hang in there, be kind to yourself/ourselves, and do something that brings you joy everyday. I live far north, so find peace knowing that the days are finally getting longer and I’ve made it through the family time of the holidays.

Putting away the Christmas decorations has been cathartic. :grin:

One day at a time, one hour at a time, one breath at a time.

3 Likes

“…One day at a time, one hour at a time, one breath at a time”.
Amen.
Breath to breath to breath…
May 2022 be a blessed year for everyone here!

5 Likes

“Be…Here…Now…”

4 Likes

New here, it really helps to read all your supporting thoughts and words for everyone. I, for one, am glad the “holiday season” is officially over and can resume my healing without reminders of what was or could have been “if only”

5 Likes

@Shepherdess- sending positive thoughts your way and hoping you’re doing well.

2 Likes

Is it terrible to say I’m so glad the holidays are over?? Like a weight off the chest!

3 Likes

I’m right there with you. One thing this process has done for me is to show how glaringly obvious that I’m triggered by my family. What they call “nostalgia” and “reminiscing,” I call “trauma” and “borderline neglect.”

Next year is the year I figured out how to get out of hosting!

3 Likes

I hear you. My mother spent all of Christmas day cornering people (some not even related to us - there were 25 people at my sister’s) to spew her broken record of grievances on them. Including my husband who was not particularly sympathetic so she’s chosen to add that to her newest rendition. Meanwhile my dad is emailing any family who haven’t visited him yet at his new care home to try to convince them to break him out. OMG.

5 Likes

I am reminded of my grandfather. Early onset Alzheimer’s. The orderlies (they weren’t CNAs then) having to go chase him down in the middle of a field, in the middle of the night. It was rural, and he would climb out the window in his hospital gown and take off. Feisty old fart!

2 Likes