Has anyone’s dr suggested Rapamune/any other immunosuppressant drug with their ketamine to make it more effective?

It’s an immunosuppressant drug, rapamune. It’s technically considered a chemotherapy and is also used to help patients not reject organ transplants. I’m on session 7 and within a week, I’ve felt I’ve needed a booster. My ket doc doesn’t support taking ket at home, and told me that one dose of rapamune with an infusion (in this case, I’ll be having a 2 hour drip) helps to get people over the hump of feeling benefits, but aren’t quite “there” yet. I’ve already made plans to have a voluntary week of lockdown with my family so there is a smaller chance of me picking up an infection of some kind bc my immune system will be compromised. Has anyone heard of this combination? Results? Input in general? I’m curious to know how it works. Thank you :blush:

I’ve never heard of this. My treatment is intensive: infusions every 2 to 3 weeks with lozenges 3 times a day in between. This is not typical tho. My situation is very extreme. As in when I first went for intake at the ketamine clinic I was so bad I had very deteriorated memory. I needed a calculator for 2 plus 2 and couldn’t navigate. I couldn’t even get myself out the office room where I was being interviewed. Ppl think depression is just sadness but that’s not true. It can destroy your brain. The ketamine reversed most of that but I relapse quickly and this was the treatment my doctor set up that helped the most.

1 Like

My memory isn’t as bad as yours was, but it’s pretty bad… I have severe MDD, ADHD, complex PTSD and the rainbow of crap associated with that. Nightmares are particularly bad… I don’t dream ever, I only have nightmares. How a lot of this was caused was in the same way as yours- horrible narcissistic family members, I was in a terrible marriage. Both situations involved physical and emotional abuse. I managed to compartmentalize for a number of years because I work in large, live events- obviously a very stressful profession. I’m a lighting designer and a master electrician, so all the lighting for concerts and anything electrical, plus most of the huge heavy equipment that is over thousands of peoples heads, I’m 100% responsible if any of that fails. Something falls, someone gets electrocuted, if there is a fire, etc. Constant stress. Then when covid showed up, that all went away, along with my income- so I had the stress of having my entire career destroyed over the course of one weekend, a family of 4 to support without any income and nothing but time on my hands to feel stressed out, scared and without any escape… very much like a the feelings you feel when you’re in an abuse situation. The depression has always been around but the bad symptoms of PTSD suddenly came RUNNING back- no rational reason why, but I had so much social anxiety, I couldn’t even speak to someone on the phone to order pizza. I was a complete wreck. I’ve struggled with consistent memory loss before, but now, I constantly forget what I’m talking about and my vocabulary has decreased significantly. I’ve always had an extremely diverse vocabulary- not anymore. I went back to daily crying and then people started dying from Covid. Things are a complete MESS and I’m trying to cope with old stuff, as well as new. I’m chasing my tail… I’ve been going back for boosters weekly because it’s like 5 days I’m okay and then on day 6, I’m a downhill slide and day 7, I’m back to crying and lashing out. The benefits are there and then gone. My doctor doesn’t do at home prescriptions, after hearing her reasoning, I don’t blame her for not wanting to be liable. She brought up the immunosuppressant drug that she only uses for extreme cases… tomorrow I’ll be receiving that with extra magnesium and a two hour drip. I’ll report back.

1 Like

THIS COULD SERIOUSLY HELP SO MANY PEOPLE! I just found a study from a year ago that said rapamune prolongs ketamine for 41% of the people studied after 2 weeks and 29% were IN REMISSION after 2 weeks!!! 70% of the participants showed great results!! I’m so glad to be doing this!!! “ Twenty-four hours after administration, ketamine exerts rapid and robust antidepressant effects that are thought to be mediated by activation of the mechanistic target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1). To test this hypothesis, depressed patients were pretreated with rapamycin, an mTORC1 inhibitor, prior to receiving ketamine. Twenty patients suffering a major depressive episode were randomized to pretreatment with oral rapamycin (6 mg) or placebo 2 h prior to the intravenous administration of ketamine 0.5 mg/kg in a double-blind cross-over design with treatment days separated by at least 2 weeks. Depression severity was assessed using Montgomery–Åsberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS). Rapamycin pretreatment did not alter the antidepressant effects of ketamine at the 24-h timepoint. Over the subsequent 2-weeks, we found a significant treatment by time interaction ( F (8,245) = 2.02, p = 0.04), suggesting a prolongation of the antidepressant effects of ketamine by rapamycin. Two weeks following ketamine administration, we found higher response (41%) and remission rates (29%) following rapamycin + ketamine compared to placebo + ketamine (13%, p = 0.04, and 7%, p = 0.003, respectively). In summary, single dose rapamycin pretreatment failed to block the antidepressant effects of ketamine, but it prolonged ketamine’s antidepressant effects. This observation raises questions about the role of systemic vs. local blockade of mTORC1 in the antidepressant effects of ketamine, provides preliminary evidence that rapamycin may extend the benefits of ketamine, and thereby potentially sheds light on mechanisms that contribute to depression relapse after ketamine administration.”

1 Like

U and I have similar history. Smh. I’m so sorry. I’ve heard those of us with cPTSD r successful and then crash in late 30s/early 40s… Our brains just start malfunctioning around that time.

This info is interesting. I may ask my doctor about this also. Thanks for sharing this and your experience with us.

Hugs.
I hope the new drug combo is successful for u.

I’m 36 so it’s about that time ugh. I’ll for sure update in two weeks. Also, I just started Life Extension’s Neuro-Mag. It’s supposed to be one of the best things for brain cell regeneration.

1 Like

I’m 37, so we r both right on time for a cPTSD crash. It sux a lot. I will need to google that regeneration thing. I could certainly use help with my memory issues. Ketamine helped significantly, but I
don’t have total memory back.

That’s the best part about ketamine is that it relieves physical depression!

1 Like

To help your memory, work at thinking! Make a note book! Write cool stuff in it you don’t want to forget! Right now I am reading again! I think it is good for my brain. I am scheduled to do my ketamine infusion tomorrow. One infusion a month is really working for me.

3 Likes

I hope I added something that can help! I hope both of you are having a great day today!

1 Like

You did :blush: thank you!

1 Like

The study https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/500959v1.full.pdf

1 Like

After about 1.5 years of doing different protocols of infusions, troches and nasal spray the efficacy had decreased and my depression came roaring back to an all time low (or high, either way it got bad). My psychiatrist was able to prescribe Rapamycin (aka rapamun, aka sirolimus) and it made a huge difference. My infusions are helping again and my depression is much better. I only take a small dose three hours before my infusion and my doctors said this won’t effect my immune system too drastically. If you have hit a wall in your treatments and feel like they aren’t working as well, definitely ask your dr about adding Rapamycin.

2 Likes

Thanks :blush: it’s already done. I took one dose of rapamune, waited 2 hours and did a two hour drip. It’s usually about 5 days between infusions that i start getting depressed again… it’s been 5 days and I’m still feeling fine. We’ll see in two weeks!

2 Likes

It’s been two weeks. The depression is back. It has been since Sunday. I’m so upset and feeling really defeated right now… I’m back to crying daily for no reason, I literally just considered hiding in a closet to escape my kids and boyfriend so I could just be left alone for a few minutes. I’m so tired of hearing, “are you okay? What’s wrong?” Nothing is wrong right now except the fact that I can’t figure out why I’m so unhappy, other than I have severe dang depression… I’m going to start a separate thread.

Don’t worry too much. Now that we know that the ketamine and rapamune can work it’s just a matter of trial and error to figure out best frequency to keep u stable. Maybe every 2 weeks is necessary for u for awhile. It was definitely that way for me for a bit. Feel better :purple_heart: