How long after the end of the first 6 infusions did you go back for another infusion?

I am nearing the end of my second week since my last infusion. I am thinking 21-28 days before I go back. What have you all done? I do not do troches or lozenges. So I am wondering if you all think three weeks is long enough or should I try to hold off for 4 weeks.

Hi Annie,
I switched over to Spravato for maintenance as it’s covered by insurance. :wink: Every 2 weeks and hoping to extend to once/month!!!

3 Likes

I went back around 27-28 days. I started falling into a slump of depression and that’s why I went back that quick. My Dr told me that was common before it happened. He was right. I have had 4 boosters and each one seems to make me feel like I can function more than before the last one and each one has been further apart. The last one I think I went about 45-60days. I also know someone who did them when I did and they had their 6 and one booster and haven’t been back. It really depends on you and how you feel and what your recognition of your own state of mind is, which isn’t always easy for folks like us to figure out. Personally I haven’t been counting days, I go with my gut and my family reactions who see’s me daily.

2 Likes

It’s different for everybody. My first year I did every 6-8 weeks following my initial series of infusions. So far this year I have been able to stretch it out every 8-12 weeks. You will be able to feel when you need another infusion. I had my last one on May 7th and I have been able to tell over the last 7-10 days that I need to get another one in July or August. My clinic told me to take it a week at a time and see how you’re doing. I would not do the lozenges because that’s when it can become addictive. I’ve been doing this since January 2020 and I have never felt any addiction or withdrawal…just benefits.

2 Likes

I’m in a similar spot. Today is two weeks from my last infusion. I completed all six. Fortunately, I am feeling much better. But I don’t want to chance any sort of setback. I as well and wondering when I should go for a booster infusion. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

I generally go about every 3 months, but I have the additional complication of having to drive nearly 300 miles one-way for an infusion. My clinic says that I shouldn’t wait until it gets bad again, so I’d say that as soon as you find yourself starting to drift back into the old thought patterns it’s time.

1 Like

Is Spravato similar to infusions? Do you take troches?

What is the difference between the two medicines?

My Psych Dr says it is the same drug, but what I have read is that it is a mirror molecule!!! For me, it is continuing to be effective. I dissociate every time…maybe not quite as deep as IV, but it’s still working and covered by insurance!!!

3 Likes

Supposedly they slightly changed the chemical makeup to call it esketamine. They patent it to charge more. (That’s what my doctor told me) The actual Ketamine is super inexpensive. It’s the “monitoring” with a nurse and doctor that bring the cost up.

3 Likes

What a RACKET :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:and then insurance won’t cover a cheaper form of the drug…just F’d up!!!

1 Like

@fpeot1, if that’s the case the spray ketamine should produce the same effects as Spravato or so it would seem, but I haven’t heard of that being the case. Higher dosage because it’s administered in a controlled medical environment, perhaps?

1 Like

There is a molecular difference between the Ketamine and the esketamine (Spravato). The molecular formation of the Ketamine has a “R” factor and a “S” factor. The R factor gives Ketamine a higher strength although has more side effects. In the formation of esketamine the “R” factor is removed, only the “S” factor is used which gives it less side effects. The removal of the “R” factor is what allows the esketamine to be FDA approved which is why insurance will often pay for it.
Ketamine although legal is not FDA approved for the use of mental health conditions. Hope this makes sense.

3 Likes

I started in April of this year and go back every two weeks (my insurance covers the infusions). I have gone three weeks, but it wasn’t great for me. I go this frequently because the ketamine helped me work through the withdrawal that comes with weaning off of Adderall. That schedule will change in the coming month or six weeks.

I know a few things: each person is different as is his/her circumstance, so trust how you feel and go back when you need to; ketamine has helped me in ways I never knew were possible and it also comes with it’s own set of considerations.

2 Likes

THANKS Deb for explaining so well!!! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Right now four weeks leave me feeling pretty normal and I usually don’t have the physical depression that I used to. 5 Weeks is a little bit more challenging. So for now I’m sticking with once a month. It is priceless to feel better!

3 Likes

It’s hard to make a decision about another treatment because currently my insurance pay zero. I have worry over the money.

2 Likes

It’s ridiculously expensive for self pay; I do know how fortunate I am.

For a more objective perspective: my clinic has told me not to go longer than a month between the initial 6 sessions and the first booster.

3 Likes

Once a month really seems to help people! I have almost eliminated physical depression in my world. It is because of my ketamine therapy. There are layers to our feelings now I am dealing with the angry feelings of a gunshot victim. It’s OK because this is part of the process! It is some thing I have needed to confront for years! I was nine years old when I was shot in the face! I don’t think in the past I could get past the depression.

6 Likes

Great job VW!!! :+1::+1::pray::pray:

3 Likes