Independent home administration of ketamine

Hi, new to the group, thanks for the add. I have been dealing with clinical depression off and on for over 30 years, and have been through many medications and psychotherapy sessions. Last year, after a particularly hard relapse, and after doing considerable research on the subject, and out of desperation, I decided to try ketamine infusion treatment … 6 treatments over a 3 week period, at a local psychiatrist’s practice … started feeling better after the 3rd session, and was back to ‘normal’ after the 6th … in fact felt much better than ‘normal’ . Have been in remission for over a year now, in fact I consider myself ‘cured’ . However, always being 'skeptical’about relapse, I have the following question … since my and most health insurance insurance plans still consider ketamine infusion for depression ‘off label’ and / or experimental, it is not covered, and my out of pocket expense was over $3000., a major expense. Has anyone else here succeeded in convincing their therapists (psychiatrists or other medication providers) that they would be safe in self administering ketamine at home, either by injection or pill ? For a person that is considered by their therapist to be otherwise competent, professional and stable, shouldn’t it be considered safe for a person to self administer ketamine, thus avoiding the exorbitant financial burden of clinic treatment ? I know infusion clinics would probably oppose this, for obvious financial considerations, but I’m reaching out to the non-clinic psychiatric community, the private therapists that could write prescriptions for generic ketamine, liquid or pills. Personally, for the patient vetted as competent and stable, I see this as a low risk, affordable alternative solution to the high costs of uncovered clinic infusion. I see no short term health insurance coverage for clinic infusion anytime soon. Comments, thoughts, opinions on this issue would be appreciated … thank you …

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat.
20+ years of major depression. Tried everything. Nothing worked.
Six treatments of IV ketamine reminded me what it felt like to have a “normal” mental landscape and I really don’t want to go back to how I was before. I’ve had one “booster” and I suspect I’ll need them at somewhat regular intervals - maybe once a month? But the cost is prohibitive - it’s basically a car payment for a pretty nice car.

My doctor’s only answer has been that I should fight with my insurance company for them to cover IV infusions but I’m highly skeptical that is going to get me anywhere and will doubtlessly require a significant investment of time and frustration. I can’t help but think that my clinic wants to keep me dependent on them and paying them $550 every month or so.

I agree there’s potential for abuse but there has to be a way to screen and monitor patients in a way that make self treatment a viable option.

I’ve been having pretty could success with the lozenge’s. My cost for them was around $30 and they’ll last me a few months. I couldn’t afford to keep getting the boosters at $500 a time after I spent the $3000 like you for the initial 6 infusions. I told my doctor exactly that, I can’t afford it, and she prescribed lozenges. I have a feeling she’ll require another booster before I’m allowed to refill my prescription when the time comes though. They taste so awful and I kinda get a hung over feeling from them the next day, so I really limit it to once a week. At least for me, I can’t see abuse being an issue.

What state are you in? I got through 4 infusions but had to drive 3 hours there and back to Louisiana and covid put an end to that… I am in Florida and there is a place about 12 hours from me that does at home dosing called ketamine road but it’s only Florida so you’d have to look in your state - also you can contact compounding pharmacies in your town or state and ask which psychiatrists or doctors prescribe at home ketamine and see them or maybe you’ll find a place like ketamine road. Good luck

Funny, I’ve been on the 30 year depression circuit as well. I have tried every anti-depressant and also had an extended period of regular ECT treatments (about 12 years ago). I have never had the infusions, but have used lozenges for a few months, both in the therapist’s office and at home with overall good results. Ketamine has been the most effective treatment so far, with most of the results coming from the integration work done in between sessions with the therapist.

My doctor recently gave me the option of trying the quick-dissolve tablets, rather than the lozenges. I have found them to be more potent and effective than the lozenges. They still don’t taste great, but they work. My doctor also said they are a more stable form of Ketamine, will stay potent for longer and don’t need to be kept refrigerated. I have no plans on returning to the lozenges.

I am planning on an IM injection in the office, with the therapist present, once the virus restrictions are loosened.

Best of luck to all.