Ketamine infusions and EMDR

I’ve had two ketamine infusions, both of which were powerful and brought up people and incidents from my past. Both also helped me see past my depression and see what’s possible. One thing that came up had to do with a deep and scary childhood trauma. I’m also in therapy with someone who uses EMDR, which has also been very effective. However, when we discussed what I had experienced, my therapist was hesitant to go back to using EMDR while I’m going through ketamine treatment. She wants me to discuss this with my doctor, which I will do when I go forward my next infusion. I’m wondering if any of you have had experience using both treatments together, and whether this is advisable?

2 Likes

I did EMDR before ketamine. It helps you to get in touch with some of those dark places from your trauma. I am not a doctor but EMDR is a technique right? I think it is good to face those places. It’s not easy work, but ketamine will help. Perhaps the EMDR separately? If it’s the same thing I did; it would be hard to do while on ketamine.

My therapist uses EMDR, and has never hesitated to use it shortly after an infusion. Personally, I don’t see why it would be a problem.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments. I’ve been doing EMDR with my therapist, but she wanted my doctor to comment. My doctor gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up in conjunction with ketamine. He said there are some instances where EMDR is done during an infusion. I’m not so sure that I’d want to combine them though.

1 Like