Music (Needs a beat)

What do people listen to. I’ve tried some examples online and some yoga mix from Apple, but there’s no beat so nothing to give the experience rhythm. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Hi RB,

I pulled some music from the “Beatstrumentals” play list on Apple. While it’s a long playlist with lots of good songs, I found their rhythm and song structure got repetitive after a while.

I also like the music group Two Steps from Hell which is orchestral music with rocking beats and an “epic” feel (not sure how else to describe it). I downloaded their essentials playlist from Apple and then picked the calmer songs from that. I know that doesn’t sound like a very uplifting band name… but the mood is mostly about coming back from the brink.

I’ve got a fifty minute playlist, which gets me through the k-trip without needing to restart, and then I’ll listen to it again during the recovery, trying to bring back up the phrases and images from the journey.

Oh, and make sure to turn the volume down a bit, there’s something about ketamine that makes us more sensitive to sound during and after.

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

Any regular music that you really like can be very beneficial. Meditation music turns into a wash sometimes. I like ELO and Rush, also Evanessence, Savatage……I am going to try Enigma next.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of Two Steps From Hell, but just played some of their music. It sounds like it would an amazing for ketamine. Thanks for the recommendation!

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to this playlist on Spotify, curated by one of my favorite musicians. I believe it’s all Icelandic artists, it’s all ambient/instrumental and makes me feel like I’m connected with nature. I can’t recommend it enough! It’s also one of my favorite artists to listen to while traveling.

3 Likes

@elil84 The Liminal music is lovely - thanks for recommending. You may also like Liquid Mind - it has been extremely soothing to me during this experience. It doesn’t have a beat but most of the time I need calming and soothing rather than invigorating.

I’ve put together this particular playlist from their music for my infusions and it worked well. Again - it’s soothing rather than upbeat so won’t appeal to everyone:

1 Like

@SavetheVWBeetle - I’m still working up the nerve to try rock! The one time I stepped up the tempo everything went so fast I even snapped out of disassociation much faster than usual. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve mostly listened to lofi hip hop on pandora (I know everyone is on Spotify) and I really like the flow during the infusions. However, at home with the troches I’ve been trying Mogwai and I really enjoy it. Less drums and feels more expansive if that makes sense.

@CAMlinda I have to confess that Two Steps from Hell has now become my favorite “deadline” work music. :slight_smile: I often listen to movie soundtrack stations/playlists when pushing to get things done but sometimes it distracts me because I recognize the music. I’m not sure I could listen to it during infusion but I certainly am enjoying using it for motivation - thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

It was recommended to me by my doctor to not listen to music with words because you’ll likely focus on them. So I definitely recommend going for instrumental/ambient!

4 Likes

@elil84, that was definitely my experience. I’ve used a couple of Moody Blues pieces with lyrics very early on in the infusion, but that was at the clinic I used to use. The new clinic uses a bolus, which gets you into dissociation very quickly, so I wouldn’t even use music with lyrics for the first piece. In my case anyway, I’ll focus on the lyrics instead of doing what I’m there to do.

2 Likes

Yes, TSfH is very upbeat and motivating music,

I’m delighted you’ve found a good time and place for it in your life!

2 Likes

I have been listening to Ketamine Therapy Music & Wellness Instrumental for Stress Relief (on YouTube) and loving it. It has wonderful rhythm and backround beats. I truly feel that it’s part of what helps me feel safe, calm and hopeful during treatment. The first thing I said when I woke up from my first treatment was, "oh, the music is so beautiful!’

Wishing you all the best with your treatments!
4 Likes

Whatever works best! Big hugs! We are all different. It’s so cool how we need different music to heal. I love that ketamine works with the individual. It’s not cookie-cutter!

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with lyrics. I actually enjoy meditations also even though they can be fragmented.

Some of my best work was done to my favorite bands songs with good lyrics! I also had some instrumentals in the mix. It helped to go where I needed! I am weird so it may not work the same for everyone else lol! Big hugs!

1 Like

Since I posted this, I’ve spent hours researching different music and found I like trip hop the best. I’ve found quite a few songs with and without lyrics that have worked well during my infusions. I really like Portishead, Tricky, Thievery Corporation and some others.

4 Likes

If you search for ketamine on Spotify, you’ll find several playlists people have put together. There may be one that appeals to you.

2 Likes

I also found this morning that if you have Apple Music, there is an Apple playlist called Today’s Chill that is low-key techno and perfect for infusions.

2 Likes