Power of Thought and Dealing with Difficult Emotions

Hello all!

My name is Harsh Patel, 3rd year medical student at University of Oklahoma School of Community Medicine with an interest to pursue Psychiatry!

I wanted to write this short post on how powerful our thoughts can be and a way to deal with difficult emotions.

The COVID-19 pandemic brings about many surprising emotions within us during these uncertain times. Anger, helplessness, despair, loneliness, agitation, you name it! We can choose to react to them reflexively or take a proactive approach and build our tool kit to better gain control over them.

I encourage you to explore your emotions through self-exploration. One of the ways I’ve found helpful to do so is through Meditation. I urge you to sit with your thoughts and delve into your spirit. Human life is beautiful, let your inner-self shine.
Meditation Link

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions, comment your thoughts on meditation, and share your experiences of dealing with difficult emotions. We all have something to learn from one another.

4 Likes

Hi Harsh thank you for sharing :slight_smile: Thank you for going into psychiatry. We need more psychiatrists in this country

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this way of meditation. I wonder if other people have tried different meditations? I have heard widely varying things. Some people just sit there and let their mind wander. Others have very focused breathing and cognitive techniques. I’ve been meanign to try meditating but haven’t gotten to it. This is a good reminder for me to get started

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this Harsh!!
The meditation for difficult emotions that you shared was especially helpful during this time of unrest.
Being at home more often than usual, I have been trying to practice meditation more to deal with my difficult emotions. I personally really like the Daily Calm 10-minute meditation series on youtube!

thanks so much for sharing, Harsh! just curious, have you read Waking Up by Sam Harris?

Hello Ezra! Sorry for the late reply.
I have not had the opportunity to read the book, however, I’ve done his meditations through his waking up app and absolutely loved it.

So much knowledge and wisdom in his talks as well. If you haven’t heard Tim Ferriss’s interview with him, have a listen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMhLhXCirc)

You’re doing amazing already, trust me. The first step is to really just recognize the way our body feels especially in times of extreme stress. When we acknowledge this, we build a muscle/ connection in our brain that makes us even more resilient to future experiences.
Incorporating some body movement exercises before or after your meditations will also give you 2x the benefit!

I’m creating a mindfulness curriculum for middle school students and I think they’re going to enjoy doing the 10-min meditations you’re referring to, thank you for sharing that with me!

Awesome, thanks for the rec! Will definitely give it a listen

The mindfulness curriculum for middle school students sounds super interesting. Will you be the one actually teaching it? Have you taught mindfulness curriculum to middle school students before?

I have not taught any middle school students but excited for the opportunity! I and one of my medical school classmate will be teaching it :smiley:

Thank you for the kind message! I’ll take your advice and will incorporate yoga more into my routine as well.
The middle schooler curriculum sounds like a great initiative! I believe mental health/mindfulness should definitely be taught at an early age so I’m glad to know that program like that exists!