Psychedelic advocacy?

What does everyone think are the best avenues for psychedelic advocacy? Like how can we best advocate for legalization of all psychedelic substances? Curious to hear what people think!

1 Like

FWIW, I expect that acceptance for legitimate medical use is probably the first step (as with cannabis) but I also seriously doubt that open legalization will ever happen, especially in today’s political climate. Unfortunately, as long as there are people who will be irresponsible in their use of powerful psychotropic substances, they’ll be kept from those of us who would approach them with due caution and respect. Such is the way of the world today. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I agree with @Sojourner that medical route is the best bet. This gets me thinking of a broader question though. I’m pretty sure psychedelics are much safer than tobacco and alcohol. So ethically/philosophically - if those are legal then so should psychedelics (and cannabis). If one wants to keep psychedelics illegal then alcohol and tobacco shouldn’t be legal either. There’s a logical flaw to the policy but clearly it’s because of politics

I remain hopeful and believe that if more resources continue to be put into psychedelic research for therapeutic purposes and mental health we can see the legalization of psychedelics in the foreseeable future.
I’d say the best way to advocate is to keep people informed on the facts and try to rid the negative stigma surrounding it without using unnecessary jargon.
Although, one thing that I can see being an obstacle for psychedelic advocacy is a high-profile death, then we might be back to square zero.

Totally agree with everything you said!

It’s interesting to me that the pure idea of hallucinating is seen as such a taboo, harmful, illegal experience. Whereas people seem not to have any problem with drunkenness and intoxication.
It seems pretty obvious that some sort of psychedelic experience can be like a “reset button” for people who are struggling with mental health. I don’t see what the purported danger is either especially in a supervised environment. These are not physically addictive like tobacco, and they don’t destroy the body like cigarettes and (to a smaller extent) alcohol.

1 Like

Right now there is a fairly large group of people who are conducting their own studies, following pretty well-defined criteria by recognized organizations. This is what will finally bring this mainstream, and it will happen fast once it starts.

Careful study, notes, and purpose. The materials are everywhere and available if one does the research.

It’s an exciting time, especially on the ground floor!

1 Like