Tagamet before a treatment can magnify things

I thought I’d mention this since I haven’t seen it discussed here. I metabolize drugs very quickly and was looking for a way to extend the afterglow of the treatments and, perhaps, enhance the experience. My doctor suggested taking 200-400mg of the OTC antacid treatment Tagamet and hour or two before the infusion. According to my doc the Tagamet impacts the liver enzymes that metabolize ketamine and keeps them busy letting the ketamine act more intensely and last longer to use simple terms. I will say this - it changed my experience in significant ways. The visuals were less structured and more fluid - harder to define what I was seeing when trying to compare to images from reality. The effect seems to last longer as well but I’ve just done this twice so still optimistically evaluating. I hope this helps someone else.

4 Likes

Very interesting. I’m too nervous to test it on an infusion because that stuff is too expensive but might try this with my nasal spray.

Probably a good idea. Do you get your nasal spray/troches from your infusion doctor or a different doctor? Just curious because my infusion clinic won’t prescribe them. I’d like to find a way to add them to the monthly infusions. Off topic I know but you sound like you know you’re doing.

1 Like

My clinic will not do it either and my psychiatrist said she can NOT prescribe??? :flushed::rage::tired_face:

2 Likes

You need to get a prescription to take to a compounding pharmacy.

The question is, from who? Jim’s dr says she can’t and the clinic can’t either. I suspect that the problem is a real miasma of state laws. People in some states can get them, but if you’re in the wrong state, you’re out of luck.

1 Like

That is too bad. We need to get ketamine recognized by the feds for everyone.

3 Likes

The question was from Jay thanks. I’m in Colorado and I believe it is legal here.

2 Likes

To those of you wanting RX and your clinic won’t provide it- MindBloom serves many states. In Texas there are a number of Nurse Practicioners who will as well. The initial consultation is usually as expensive as a infusion but the spray helped me go 6 months without a booster. I probably should have done one sooner but this made it financially possible for me.

3 Likes

Calling another Dr tomorrow as he thinks Spravato will be covered by my insurance now…crossing my fingers!!!

2 Likes

Spravato is so expensive and different from regular ketamine. Really recommend trying to get an RX to fill last a compounding pharmacy.

2 Likes

I know…it’s crazy…LESS expensive than Ketamine Infusions and apparently not quite as effective as the IV piece. And my Dr said it IS the exact same ketamine/just a mirror S molecule…thanks Big Pharma!!!:rage:

1 Like

Just checked, and Mindbloom doesn’t serve Wisconsin. No surprise, really - this state is decidedly Neanderthal in its politics, so I’m sure the very idea of psychedelic medicine would have the legislature reeling in horror. :roll_eyes:

Probably not DE either…so irritating & frustrating!!! SMH!!!

1 Like

This is very helpful thank you for this post. I am able to use a compounding pharmacy in Castlerock, Colorado. Prior to that I used a mail order service from West Virginia. It’s much easier using the compounding pharmacy here. However if you can only do it by mail; you definitely should get a prescription. Troches help to get you thru until your next infusion. I hope that you all able are to get a prescription. We are all on the cutting edge of a new medicine. Everything we do will help others.

1 Like

I think there’s some info in this thread that will help you.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re having a rough time getting the medicine you need brother.

1 Like

It’s really sad seeing how many ppl could use the lozenges/troches and can’t get them. I’m so sorry this is happening. If your doctors are open to it, they should talk to Dr. Brooks at nyketamine.com about how to manage and supervise troche prescriptions as a supplement for IV. It truly is effective and the biggest reason I am stable now between infusions. He has 40 years experience working with ketamine and truly knows how to fine tune ketamine administration (IV and troche) to help u feel normal.

1 Like

@grousey I’m in Houston. Can u recommend anybody that prescribe troches/lozenges. My current Ket Infusion provider doesn’t do it.

@jay From your post I would be very interetested in trying Tagamet before my infusions. do you know if the Tagamet interferes in anyway with the Ket’s effectiveness? I know there has been some proof and research that show benzo’s definitely reduce the effectiveness of Ket as well as a one or 2 antidepressants or mood stabilizers (don’t remember which ones off the top of my head since I don’t take them) and some new evidence that suggests Zofran can decrease Kets effectiveness. That would be my main concern with taking the Tagamet. Infusions aren’t cheap and I want to get as much benefit from them as possible.