Therapy during Ketamine

Has anyone else tried therapy during a ketamine treatment and if so, what are your thoughts?

1 Like

I haven’t tried it during. I think it would be too distracting. I might take a troche before my next session. I normally write notes to discuss with my therapist. When I read about Ketamine I think you are supposed to do therapy with it. I think it would be helpful right after while stuff is fresh in your head.

2 Likes

I have no desire to do therapy so far during sessions. I prefer to experience the medication. I think talking afterwards is a much better idea. I tried to write down things, I can’t write much less talk until 20-30 minutes after infusion is stopped.

4 Likes

I’ve done it both ways. It is much more productive with a therapist.

1 Like

I think the Best treatment from what I’ve read is to use it in conjunction with the Ketamine. I don’t think doing a therapy session while you are under is helpful I think it would be distracting, but I think maybe an hour after would be very helpful. I also get more perspective from troches than IV. I normally talk to my wife about what came up, but it would be nice especially now if we could zoom with an experienced therapist on the subject. Preferable someone who has also experienced it. I think one downfall in the current system is that no one tells you what to expect. Maybe to stay away from certain types of music. How to try to get yourself out of a bad trip. I think Ketamine has changed my life even though I’m struggling right now. I know for a fact it would be worse without Ketamine.

6 Likes

Definitely think that it’s important part especially if you have unresolved issues if you just have simple depression if there’s any such thing as simple depression meaning it’s not really caused by a traumatic event and or bad marriage I was strongly recommend having therapy

1 Like

I don’t think having therapy during a session would allow your brains thoughts to flow in and and out because you would be trying to resolve things I would think vs just enjoying the experience? I do think therapy is beneficial after (a day or few) so you can bring up the things that came to you during treatment. I would just want to relax and not talk to anyone, personally. :slightly_smiling_face: