Viibryd

Has anyone here ever used a med called Viibryd? It sounds to me like one of Captain Pickard’s adversaries in a Star Trek flick - “Beware the dreaded Viibryd!”

I tried Viibryd for about 3 months l. Had to stop due to nausea and vomiting that got worse the longer I was on it. However I do think it helped. I have niece that takes it with no problems and it has helped with her depression.

I strongly believe that everyone reacts differently to different antidepressants. What works for one person may not work for another and don’t think you should rule out an antidepressant based another’s experience. For example I had the worst experience ever with Trintellix…. But my son’s girlfriend has had a very positive experience taking it.

1 Like

Thank you for the response, @TreeTopp2020.

As far as I can tell, all three of the meds mentioned by my doctor (Cymbalta, Viibryd, and Trintellix) are in fact addictive, but they help, so that’s okay (??!?) Diazepine tranquilizers help too, but they tell us it’s not okay to be addicted to those even though they help some people greatly. Do diazepines do more damage over time than the antidepressants? Perhaps they do, but if so show me some hard evidence because frankly, I don’t see the distinction. I’m not challenging you but rather the system, because the way it looks from here is that it’s quite okay to be addicted to those three drugs because they’re very expensive, and the system makes a lot of money from their use. Diazepines and ketamine are cheap - there’s not much money being made there so being addicted to those drugs is bad. If there’s a flaw in my logic here, somebody please explain that to me because I don’t get it.

4 Likes

@Sojourner - nailed it, in my opinion.

I’m quite certain that a lot more SSRI’s than just those three are addictive - I can’t remember if it was Paxil or Zoloft but god help me if I missed a dose. I would start a very rapid descent into withdrawal hell. Flu-like symptoms, shakes, etc - would practically run across the city from work to the doctor for an emergency refill. Took forever to wean off just so I could spend months trying something else with other frustrating side effects.

3 Likes

@Sojourner @Shepherdess I had a very similar experience, different med. Thankful finally completely off the med.

2 Likes

Paxil was the first SSRI I was started on. That stuff damn near killed me.

1 Like

@Sojourner my personal opinion and let me just emphasize this is my opinion not a fact and I’m sure many will disagree and I’m aware that not everything I think is correct. These are just my experiences.

Based on the definition “addiction is a compulsive need for something”. I don’t think antidepressants are addictive. I’ve never had a craving or compulsive need to take my antidepressants, quite the opposite actually. However stopping them does produce uncomfortable side effects especially if done cold turkey.

Benzodiazepines on the hand are quite different. I’ve taken Benzos only on an as needed basis for a panic attack, never everyday. But the feeling they give you can easily become addictive. My Father-In- law in his 80’s became addicted to Benzos. He would fight everyone tooth and nail and and throw temper tantrums to make sure he got his Benzos. However he was prescribed Benzos to help him sleep not for anxiety, which I don’t think Doctor’s should be prescribing Benzos for a sleep aid as a first choice. His entire personality changed after he started taking them.

So when someone says antidepressants are addictive I tend to disagree and don’t fully understand that statement. I consider addictive drugs to be those that give you an almost instantaneous high or overall feeling of well-being…. Opioids, benzo’s, cocaine, heroin etc. A feeling that you like and want to experience over and over again. I’ve never liked taking any antidepressants.

2 Likes

@TreeTopp2020 - I would have fought someone to get my antidepressant in order to make the horrible withdrawal symptoms go away. In that sense I definitely craved the antidepressant. In my very limited exposure to drug addicts…they don’t just want the high they also want the bad withdrawal feelings to go away. Just because you don’t have a pleasurable “high” does not mean that you cannot become addicted to something. Addiction can be the avoidance of suffering withdrawal, in my opinion.

Glad you never experienced this! Suffice it to say it’s a pretty nasty experience and one I hope never to repeat! If anything it made me even more leery of taking any sort of medication long term.

2 Likes

I’m on Viibryd now - was on it on the past for nearly two years and did well. Until I didn’t. It suddenly pooped out on me, but did great for me for longer than any other antidepressant. So I went off for a little while (couple of years) and am trying it again to see if my body recognizes it or not.

Not back to therapeutic levels yet. I’m hopeful, however. It IS expensive and ISN’T covered by my insurance (though ketamine is - go figure).

I know this: always take it with food. Not because of the nausea, but for absorption. Otherwise you only get a half dose. I learned that the hard way.

Well spoken, @TreeTopp2020.

Like @Shepherdess, I regard such drugs as addictive when unpleasant withdrawal symptoms are experienced if the drug is withheld. It’s worth noting that your father-in-law only became unpleasant when he felt that his supply of medication was threatened, because he knew what he would experience as a result. It would be very interesting indeed to see what would happen if the supply of someone on one of these antidepressant meds was suddenly cut off. I expect that you may very well see the kind of panicked behavior as described by @Shepherdess.

As for a pleasant effect from one of these drugs, I would posit that the simple absence of deep depression would suffice.

In any case, like you I would not choose to use benzodiazepines every day. I would consider it unwise to do so because my daughter was a drug addict who died something over a year ago, predictably of an overdose, but that doesn’t mean that I consider the current attitudes towards them to be justified. Like opioid painkillers, I feel that current attitudes are an overreaction that deprives people who are in genuine need of relief. It is my considered perspective that a doctor who has no interest in alleviating the suffering of someone in pain, be that pain physical or mental, is in the wrong line of work.

1 Like

@Sojourner @Shepherdess - I agree with your view on folks in pain either physically or mentally. I too lost family from overdoses. In fact, I lost both of my younger sisters to overdoses (one to illegal drug and one to prescription opioids and benzos). While devastated with this lost, limited those in true need is not the answer. I was in a serious accident and diagnosed with 4 herniated discs in my neck. The disc were herniated so badly I lost all the feeling in my arms and legs and was in excruciating pain. It took over 10 days to get any kind of pain medicine and that was only because my regular PCP returned from being out of town and immediately put me in the hospital and made all the decisions for treatment. That kind of horrific suffering is not preventing any one from becoming addicted!! I also agree with both you, Sojourner and Shepherdess with your definition of addiction.

2 Likes

In terms of addiction, there seems to be a lot of grey area. “This is physically addictive.” “That is psychologically addictive.”

Who truly gets to decide? The anti-drug camp claim that ketamine and cannabis are addictive, but the pharmacology folks seem to collect on the other side, they don’t act like opioids.

Having been on bupropion (old style, immediate release and newer extended release) and having come off it cold turkey multiple times, I’ll say that is an experience I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. The Medical Professionals have told me that it isn’t withdrawals. Bull. Shit. You go without, run a couple of miles down a mountain road and hide from the communal ride back to the parking lot (jumping into to the bushes to avoid being seen) and tell me that it isn’t. “Well, it don’t fit the proper definition.” FScrew You. You live through that hell and then tell me how benign those drugs are.

I have never had that problem with hallucinogens (legal or otherwise), nor cannabis. The street drugs that were always my go-to self meds never gave me the problems that prescriptions have.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything, but, to quote St. George Carlin, “I get pissed, goddamnit, I get pissed!”

Ketamine isn’t any silver bullet. I still turn into a werewolf from time to time. But, I can get it without being arrested and loosing my job, and it helps. I live in a state that legalized cannabis, but quite honestly, as much as firing up a joint helped, jumping through those hoops and paying those prices (this considering that K ain’t cheap) just doesn’t seem feasible. And it still isn’t legal on a federal level.

3 Likes

@salty, it always astonished me that legal cannabis should require so many hoops and be so expensive. When I looked into it in Minnesota about 5 years ago, there were 2 clinics in the state that could certify you - $250 to walk in the door. Then, assuming the clinic would certify your need, the state required another $200 for the card that would allow you to buy it, so it was $450 and you haven’t seen any medication whatsoever. That was another $400/month, AND you had to recertify every year, so that was another $850 month. Is it any wonder that people go to the kid down the block?

1 Like

I have talked about medical marijuana with my boss’ boss, and he said he would be fine with it, as long as the paperwork was in order. A couple of guys I work with have their cards, but one of them that was using it to control seizures said the “pharmacies” were outrageous. He still bought his smokeables from the dope man.

Hell, the “Legalize It” crowd has pointed out for years just how much of a cash crop it has always been. Just so long as you don’t grow your own, and spend the cash instead.

2 Likes