Wellness Check

My dad did a freaking wellness check because I told him I was doing my oral ketamine and he did not hang up the phone and listened to me mumble while I meditated. I must’ve just turned off the speakerphone instead of hitting the hang up button . He said he was yelling at me but he is the one that cannot hear normally. He is in his 70s and won’t admit he has hearing problems. I had told him I needed to hang up that the ketamine was kicking in…… At the peak of my ketamine experience; on my oral troche, there is an extremely loud banging on the door, and the police and the paramedics are here at my house. They banged on the door so hard I thought maybe my dad got in a car wreck or something. Family sucks sometimes because they don’t understand your ketamine therapy. Needless to say I was traumatized, and I’m afraid to do my troches, which really usually help a lot! I have anxiety as I type this. My mom had a stroke so he is under a lot of stress and not behaving normally. I am trying to be understanding but honestly, I am so angry at him! My mom was the one that recommended ketamine therapy so she understands completely, compared to him. This is even after she’s had her stroke. Because my dad does not understand he has tested me before after an infusion to see if I felt better; and of course it takes about three days for the effects to kick in. Needless to say, that pissed me off as well. Being tested while the therapy is still soaking in sucks. Being interrupted by the police and the paramedics while you were on ketamine is not very fun. In fact, I found it to be traumatizing. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen?

1 Like

Holy crap. I’m so sorry @SavetheVWBeetle! How unbelievably awful. And yes, it’s extremely difficult trying to communicate with deaf parents!

1 Like

@SavetheVWBeetle I am so sorry!!! That had to be horrific! I applaud you for even being able to get to the door while on Ketamine. That had to be very traumatic. I think I would have been terrified.

I don’t have a Ketamine story similar but I do have a work story. My mother use to call my place of employment and tell them it was an extreme emergency and she needed me to come to the phone immediately. I am not able to just get up and leave my work without someone covering for me. When I would get to the phone she would ask something like; can you conference with your brother’s teacher next week or do you think we should have ham for Christmas (nothing even close to an emergency). After she did this the 4th time, I was called in and asked if I needed time off (without pay of course). At that time I was still trying to protect her and declined the offer acknowledging their kindness, promising it would not happen again. When I explained to her the need to wait until I was off work to talk to me she went ballistic. Began screaming and yelling that I was nothing but a pompous ass that always needed to be in control. She then picked up a wooden rolling pin and started beating the hell out of me. I was 27 years old, didn’t even live with her any more but essentially was raising my two younger brothers so was at their house often (a difficult task from the hour away that I moved too). She relied on me to care for everything for the boys, health, school, recreation and most of the time I was even financially responsible for them. I had 2 more years until the youngest was 18 years old so I felt like I needed to be there for him. Once the youngest turned 18, I made the break from my mother and step father. As my counselor said at the time, it is hard to recover from trauma when you are still in the thick of it and people will not meet you half way ( I begged my mother to go to counseling with me but she said I was the only one who needed fixing!).
Although not the trauma that you just experienced Savethebeetle, hopefully an illustration to let you know I understand your frustration, anger and traumatizing event. Parents can really suck and I am praying for you. I hope you can relax a bit this evening. Take care❤️

2 Likes

The thing is my dad meant well but because my mom had a stroke he is on edge about everything. It’s understandable, but it doesn’t change the fact that the thing that screwed me up was that I got shot in a cops house …….So I am literally meditating about it and then they’re banging on the door.

1 Like

@SavetheVWBeetle Sorry, that has to be hard.

1 Like

It was terrifying. Fortunately my dad showed up with them or who knows what would’ve happened.

Big hugs! My parents are both very loving and mean well. I am grateful for that. He did not mean to do it. But that’s what happens when people don’t understand ketamine treatment. My dad just has trouble processing what we do.

Big hugs buddy! Thank you for being there for me!

1 Like

It feels good to talk about it because it gave me a little bit of anxiety.

1 Like

When you get shot when you’re nine in a cops house; it makes you not feel safe. I have made so much progress that I dealt with the situation. I didn’t know if someone had been in a car wreck or something. I could not talk very well because I was definitely under the influence of ketamine. I told them I am totally OK until you showed up.

1 Like

Then they’re like what are you doing? And I was like “My ketamine therapy”….

1 Like

Fortunately somebody in their law-enforcement paramedic group had a relative that does ketamine therapy. My dad asked them to leave and knew that he screwed up at that point.

1 Like

@SavetheVWBeetle I apologize I misunderstood, they sound like very loving and caring parents. And you are correct, even though his intentions were what he thought was in your best interest, it does not negate how traumatic the experience was for you. Completely agree about folks understanding Ketamine treatment.

2 Likes

Thanks as we all know it can be hard for them to understand. My mom is more like us and was the one that recommended ketamine therapy to me. My dad comes from a military background.

2 Likes

I have to admit…… I am a little afraid to take a troche and have it happen again.

1 Like

Oh and my neighbors came over! Good neighbors; they wanted to make sure I was OK!

1 Like

Crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

One of my Volkswagens is in the body shop. I can’t wait to get it back and have a safe place again outside of the house. That is a whole other story. It’s been there since October. The work was not done right. So now they’re having to do it again.

1 Like

I think the thing that I am most proud of is that I am dealing with all of my own problems. Including the insurance for ketamine which is the biggest pain in the brain I have ever seen. Humana insurance can be very difficult.

1 Like

That’s frustrating. Happy you are getting it back!

1 Like